HTML5 providing long descriptions
Mouse over or tab to display link.
- Provides a link to the long description via longdesc attribute for assitive technology that supports it.
- Provides a programmatically associated link to the long description, using a list, for all users.
- Is unobtrusive: link displayed on mouseover or focus i.e. no default visual encumberance.
For users of AT that support longdesc they witll duplicate access to the long description.
Future: Image description via a HTML5 context menu and longdesc
Right click in later Firefox versions to display context menu options
- Provides a link to the long description via
longdesc attribute for assitive technology that supports it.
- Provides a multiple options for display of the long description; new tab, same tab, in line.
- Is unobtrusive: links displayed via context menu i.e. no default visual encumberance.
- HTML5 context menu currently supported by Firefox only.
- Currently custom context menu items do not appear when
shift+f10 is used to display the context menu (when the image has focus) A bug has been filed.